Live Review: Frank Turner, On Blackheath Festival

On Blackheath is a new festival, and although I was only there for the evening, it is very promising. A family friendly event with a diverse range of music, fun activities, great food, and plenty more, and of course Frank Turner. However, before I saw Frank Turner for the 4th time, I managed to catch hotly anticipated new band, Jagwar Ma, who combine Indie tunes with an intense dance backbeat, it was an exhilarating set, which featured single Come Save Me. The set was pulsating, loud and exciting from start to finish, I would recommend everyone to check them out.
This was my 4th time seeing Frank Turner live (or 5th if you count Mongol Horde) and he was brilliant as ever, despite some arrogance from some idiotic crowd members later in the set, the crowd were brilliant to, shouting every word back at Frank. The set started with the fast paced Try this at Home, immediately creating a great exciting atmosphere. This was my first time hearing most songs from Tape Deck Heart and Losing Days was a real highlight early in the set. Frank also treated us all to a few new songs which sound great, ranging from the blast of energy in new track Out of Breath, to the serenity and references on slower track The Angel Islington. Another highlight was a solo outing of my personal favourite track, Ballad of Me and My Friends, which was beautiful and was a nice addition. Frank ended on the punk rock blast of Four Simple Words, and ended a great night on Blackheath Common. I had a great time at the festival and look forward to seeing the line up next year.
Overall: 8/10

Setlist:
Try This at Home
If Ever I Stray
Losing Days
Out of Breath
The Road
Glory Hallelujah
Reasons Not to Be an Idiot
The Way I Tend to Be
The Ballad of Me and My Friends
Wessex Boy
Photosynthesis
Plain Sailing Weather
Peggy Sang the Blues
Get Better
Recovery
Long Live the Queen
------------------------------
The Angel Islington
I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous
I Still Believe
Four Simple Words

Comments

Popular Posts